Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Black Carrot Cake [黒菜头粿] @ Guan Heng Cooked Food [Chong Pang Hawker Centre]

Just when i thought i no longer have to drive to another place to satisfy my fix for black carrot cake, the owner of the stall (which was just a stone's throw away from my home in Yishun) broke my tender heart by closing the business!

I was determined to find another nearby stall and thought i struck gold with this one at Chong Pang hawker centre. The queue was usually very long on weekends and i know for a fact that this lady frying the "cai tao kueh" has been at the same stall since my kindergarten days! 

Appearance wise, it has the look of a winner (the pieces were too chunky though). As far as taste was concerned, it was satisfying enough for a person craving for black carrot cake.

Sadly, for someone who has had quite a few epic black carrot cake in Singapore, this was not up to standard. The essence of "fiery" frying was missing and the black sauce gave one the impression that it was too diluted and not strongly flavoured.

Sigh... i have to continue my search. Anyone in Yishun is aware of any good black carrot cake? Email me at a6729@singnet.com!

=====

Location
Blk 105, Yishun Ring Road, 
Chong Pang Hawker Centre, #01-146

Price
S$3 (inclusive of an extra egg)

No comments:

Post a Comment